Drinking With Mormons.

Well, not “with” them, really.

So, I’m on a family vacation. With the whole damn family (she said, lovingly). Today is my parents’ 50th Wedding Anniversary so we loaded up the vehicles and drove from California to Canada…for fun and celebration. My brother and his wife (the “Mormons” above-referenced) are on this trip as well.

Steve and I drink a lot of wine anyway, but on vacation…yes, it’s daily. And we found some delightful local brews, as well. My brother and his wife and I are all very close (and brutally sarcastic and passive-aggressively judgmental). Long story short, when I’m evaluating whether or not beer is acceptable at 9:30 in the morning, I can see my brother’s eyes glaze over (in the aforementioned passive-aggressive judgment). So, out of respect for the Mormons, I waited until 11 am to drink my (delicious) 650 ml beer. Don’t tell me I’m not a team player.

So this has all been an important lesson in “perspective.” If, on vacation, you drink every day, but never get stupid-drunk, no problem. If you drink every day *with Mormon bystanders*, you might be an alcoholic. Hm. Well, I’m still convinced my problem is my audience and not my intake. Did I mention the beer was delicious? (#MoonUnderWaterBrewery)

Advertisements

26 comments for “Drinking With Mormons.

1. June 13, 2014 at 8:10 pm

It’s 5 o’ clock somewhere.

2. June 13, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Question: What did an hour and a half do to smooth out the Mormon wrinkles?

• June 13, 2014 at 8:34 pm

It actually had more to do with the sliding scale of my need to justify my actions to others…which by 11am becomes not at all.

• June 13, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Post 11:00 = No fucks given. Gotcha!

3. June 13, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Why in all that is good in the world would you come FROM California to Canada for a vacation?!

• June 13, 2014 at 9:46 pm

hahahaha. One very good reason is that when we left home it was 100 degrees and here on Vancouver Island it was about 65 🙂

• June 13, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Again…why?! I would love weather like that consistantly.

It’s like everyone who has curly hair wanting straight hair and vice versa. No one is ever happy haha!

• June 13, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Can’t argue with you there. The joke at home is “yes, it’s 105 degrees, but it’s a *dry* heat.” The joke being that by the time you hit 100 degrees, Hell is Hell 😉

• June 13, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Very true. Enjoy, your 65 degree weather vacation!

4. June 13, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Love this! Am convinced”….my problem is my audience…” Am going to borrow that one for sure! Will probably also use it on my brother just like you!

5. June 14, 2014 at 1:47 am

I read the title quickly as “Drinking with morons”.

6. TheWeekdayPreacher
    June 14, 2014 at 4:29 pm

I love that quote! “The problem is my audience not my intake.”

I would be considered an alcoholic by many teetotalers as well, but I think I just have more fun! Cheers!

• June 14, 2014 at 10:39 pm

The trick is to surround yourself by people who drink *more* so that you seem moderate by comparison 😉

• TheWeekdayPreacher
        June 14, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Already on it at a Seattle Mariners game!

7. June 14, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Ah, yes. My drinking patterns will sometimes alter during “the whole fam damily” get-togethers. I think mimosas and Bloody Marys were invented by people sharing the same space with zany relatives early in the morning…

• June 14, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Yeah – vodka and tomato juice…how did that slip onto the morning menu? Clever people.

8. June 14, 2014 at 10:23 pm

And this is when a flask comes in very handy. Or a wineskin.

• June 14, 2014 at 10:42 pm

My flask! I knew I forgot something at home when we left on this adventure. Brilliant.

9. June 15, 2014 at 4:58 am

I would judge you for drinking a beer at 9:30am. I don’t have my first beer until 10am! lol
    My brother would say that if his friends judge him for drinking he needs to get new friends.

• June 15, 2014 at 5:01 am

I completely agree with that. Family, however, is a slightly different animal…not as easy to swap out parts 😉

• June 15, 2014 at 5:05 am

I realized as I hit reply that it sounded like I was suggesting you should trade in your brother. Didn’t mean it like that! Would like to un-reply. Can I do that? I should go to bed.

• June 15, 2014 at 5:49 am

Lol. No – I think you were on the right track 😉 (Clearly my brother does not read my blog or I would get endless shit for this comment. And probably for saying shit.)

• June 15, 2014 at 1:17 pm

My brother does read my blog but he drinks and swears more than I do so I’m safe there. He may judge me but he hasn’t asked to trade me in. Yet. 😀