Time Flies Whether You’re Having Fun or Not.

Time Flies

I have come to realize that the saying, “time flies when you’re having fun” is inaccurate. It’s not untrue – time does fly when you’re having fun. But time still flies when you’re not. So I’m not calling the creator of that catchphrase a liar…I’m calling them sloppy based on their half-truth.

There are undoubtedly periods of time that do not fly. So maybe time flies unless you’re in an internment camp. Or time flies unless you’re at the DMV. Or time flies unless you’re reading Moby Dick. Or you’re in solitary confinement in a state penitentiary. Or stuck in traffic when you’re running late for court. Or sitting through a graduation commencement. This list is not exhaustive and I realize time is relative. You may love graduations. Or solitary confinement.

But, otherwise, time does fly. Regardless of whether you’re having a good time or not. I have noticed that the only days of the week I seem to notice are Fridays and Mondays. Fridays, in that I can’t believe how fast the week went by. And Mondays, in that I can’t believe the weekend went by even faster. So the last eight weeks have been a blur. And yet, it feels like it was yesterday. And I can honestly say I have had little to no fun at all. But time still flies.

Advertisements

8 comments for “Time Flies Whether You’re Having Fun or Not.

1. February 9, 2015 at 4:58 pm

You are right. Days do seem to fly by. I think it’s the hours and minutes that can go slowly when you’re not having fun. And for the record, I’m not sure anyone likes graduations. I think they are as boring as watching golf on TV.

• February 9, 2015 at 5:01 pm

I agree. Even my own graduations were tediously boring. I felt like I should send out apologies to my family who sat through my two-hour law school graduation 😉

2. February 9, 2015 at 8:02 pm

This speeding up of time, I’ve found, gets faster the older you get! It’s so strange, sometimes it’s all just a blur. And when you’re off in your own tangent…hurting or healing or involved in some project, I think we do lose track and it’s always a surprise when we snap out of it and realize how much time has elapsed. But, can definitely tell you one time when time does not fly……high school swim meets….sitting on hard bleachers and breathing chlorine for 2 hours. Yep, if you’re wanting to slow down time, just try that one out. Actually worse than graduation!

• February 9, 2015 at 8:41 pm

Hahahaha. I have actually done the swim meet thing and you are soooo right. Who thought it was a good idea to do swim team where you have to sit out there for SEVEN hours to watch your kid spend TWO minutes in the water? Thankfully, my swim meet days are over. But, yes…I also agree with your “hurting and healing” statement. I told my husband it’s like having the flu…life is sort of on hold until I’m back on my feet. And I’m impatient to be back on my feet but unfortunately sheer force of will doesn’t seem like it’ll get me there.

• February 10, 2015 at 5:24 am

Time will get you there…..just time and new habits and lots of love from people around you. Don’t try and rush this, it’s not a small wound, this…..it’s probably the most major thing you’ll ever have to go through and it was such a total shock. It’s going to take some time to wrap your head around your new reality. After all, it’s a test you had no idea you were going to be taking….no prep at all. Just take it one day at a time. Look at all the days you’ve already done……not easy days, not your best days, but you are doing them! 🙂

• February 10, 2015 at 8:30 am

I agree…and my husband has said much the same…I think it's just hard to think that I have months more of feeling like *this*…I'm generally a happy person so it's hard to feel this bad day after day. But you're right. Only time. And I am doing them! 😉

3. March 31, 2015 at 9:25 am

Now that I’m going to be 44, I ask myself where the hell did 44 years go. Technically my whole life flew by. Maybe I should be watching it like when I’m waiting for water to boil, but I guess then life would be one huge bore, like those graduation ceremonies or swim meets. Never been to a swim meet, but if it’s anything like a religious ceremony where I have to sit for 2 hours twice a week year after year, then heck, I feel you. Oh, I remember the days as a kid when an entire year waiting for my next birthday felt like an eternity. I miss those “slower” days. I guess it’s all perspective. I’ve also been told that “American” days go by a lot quicker than “European” days. We’re just so busy here. Maybe I should move to put that to a test. One day.

Just wanted to let you know I truly enjoy your posts and am glad I stumbled upon your blog. I even named your blog as one of my faves on one of my recent posts. You don’t need to partake but the reason I enjoy it is due to the questions I ask other bloggers to get to know them. Just in case you relish in answering silly questions. Happy Blogging.

Elke